A more sophisticated version of a basic parfait, this lovely dessert is super simple and crazy delicious. Sub whiskey for bourbon vanilla extract or leave it out entirely.
1 cup of oats
1 cup of heavy whipping cream
4-5 tablespoons Scotch whiskey (if subbing bourbon vanilla extract, add in teaspoon increments until you reach your desired flavor)
2-3 tablespoons honey
1 cup of strawberries, sliced
In a dry pan, toast the oats for 4-5 minutes until fragrant and slightly browned. Do not walk away while they’re toasting, they can burn very easily. Remove from pan and let cool.
Whip the cream until medium to stiff peaks form. Gently fold in the honey and the whiskey. Chill until serving.
Serve the cranachan by repeating layers of fruit, cream, and oats in individual glasses.
- use a homemade or locally bought granola in place of the toasted oats
- fold in some yogurt or a mild soft cheese into the whipped cream
- Try blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, or any combination thereof
- try fresh thyme or mint tossed with your strawberries
- dry toast some chopped almonds, walnuts, or hazelnuts and toss with your oat mixture